0027-The Gift of the Magi - A Retrieved Reformation sentence

2016-04-13

We're in a cell block in the Indiana State Prison.
You won't be makin' no more of them prison shoes.
I didn't mind the work. I get pretty good at it.
Ten to one you'll be back at that sewing machine in a year.
I've got a pardon here from the governor. Don't know what the man's thinking of.
The governor's a friend of a friend of mine.  州長是我朋友的朋友
Ten months out for a four-year sentence for bank robbery, and you're out.
I was railroaded.  我是被誣陷入獄的
yeah, that job in kokomo?
I was never in  Kokomo in my life. Can't even pronounce it.
Here's your paper. You're entitled to a suit of clothes and five dollars.
What happened to the tailor-made suit I was wearing when I came in here?
that was confiscated.
I hope it fits you, warden. And, and thank the State of Indiana for the suit and the fiver.
You ought to watch your tongue, Valentine. You'll be back here one of these days. Mark my

words.
That's another round on me.
Just got off the train.
Duley, take the bar. I'll be in the back room. come on, Jimmy . Let me look at you.
you don't look too bad for ten months in the 'stir'.
I was hoping it wouldn't be that long.
oh,Jimmy, you won't believe how tough it is getting things to work out with the governor.
He's getting independent; he's forgotten who got him elected.
your room upstairs, by the way, is just the way you left it.
Good, I wanna get out of these prison duds.
They sure don't suit you. Here, here have a nip.
I never touch the hard stuff. My suitcase up there?
everything's there,just the way you left it when they picked you up.
I wouldn't wanna lose those tools.
That's big investment.
And you're going back to work right away,huh?
how can you think such a thing? I am here representing the New York Amalgamated Short

Snap Biscuit Cracker and Frazzled Wheat Company.
you're a card you are. But getting serious.
That's the first time I've done time, and I don't like it. I don't plan to do anymore.
But you're the best there is, Jimmy. No one, I say no one can crack a safe like you can.
Is that cop still around?
He's a big man now. He got promoted while you was in the pokey.
He's the head man now, the commissioner. He was in here yesterday for a beer. Asked after

ya.
What did he want to know?
Commissioner Price speaking.Where? Ellenville?How much did they get?
Five thousand? That's a good night's work.Clean as a whistle, eh? All right,
we'll get to work on it.
I hope he has a letter from Joe for me.
This is Elmore. That's where you wanted, hey mister.
look at him. He's a swell.
And he's, well, awfully good looking.
She's trying to say that's the Planters Hotel.
Right down the street there across from the bank.
If I'm not being too forward, almost as pretty as some of its inhabitants.
What a nice thing for you to say.Are you from Indianapolis?
I'm from the East. But I've spent some months in Indiana.
Are you going to be here in Elmore long?
Are you going to...to stop at the hotel?
That's my thought.
I must go down that way anyhow. you see my father owns the bank just across the street.
I'd be glad of your company. Shall we go?
Let me get my bike here, and I'll walk along with you.
Everything's so up-to-date here in Elmore, a boardwalk and boardwalk and everything.
I'd have bet a hundred dollars you were married. You're much too pretty not to be.
 I'm a loner.
What do you do? I mean, what kind of work?
What do I do? Well, I've been in several businesses. I'm thinking of opening a shoe store
We could use a good shoe store in Elmore. There isn't anybody here in that business.
We have to buy our shoes at Mr. Barrington's dry goods store, and his selection isn't very
good.
Is that a fact?
if you needed money to open a store, I'd bet my father would lend it to you.
She's a forward little minx speaking to a total stranger like that, but I love her just the same.
She says you're thinking of opening up a shoe store here in Elmore.
I'm giving it some thought, Mr. Adams. I just thought I'd stop b y and get your opinion about

the opportunity here in this town.
you couldn't find a better opportunity anywhere than right here in Elmore.
We're going to get a spur from the railroad pretty quick.I predict Elmore
will double its population in the next five year.
I'd be glad to arrange a loan for you, if you need to open you store.
That's nice of you, Mr. Adams, but I'm pretty well-fixed at the moment.
And I own a business block over on Washington Street. That 's where everybody shops.
There's an empty store there that would be just right for your purposes.
You sure ou don't need money?
I never was one to turn down money from a bank.
I like the cut of your jib, young man. I'll set you up in business.
And I want you to come to my home, meet my other daughter,Audrey. she and her two
little ones are living with me while her husband is serving with the Army in Cuba.
Lost my wife two years ago.
You come for dinner tonight,and we'll talk about your future here in Elmore.
That's up to you. What have you heard from your buddy, Jimmy Valentine?
I haven't heard of the boy boy in months.
A fellow came into my office the other day, said he'd seen a picture of Valentine in the
newspaper.
Is that a fact now? Probably posing with some socialite, huh?
No,  it was a mug shot. We asked them to print it.
This fellow said he recognized Jimmy right away from the train outside of Ellenville,
about six weeks ago. Jimmy said he was thinking of going into the shoe business.
Because Jimmy got off at Ellenville, and that night someone cracked the bank there.
Got away with five thousand dollars. This's why.
I'm glad you came by, Ralph. I wanted to show you around the band. I'm mighty proud of
this place, you know? Built it up from scratch.
It's a fine looking institution, Mr. Adams.
We've been in business for 35 years. We started out in a little ( one-room building )
on Jefferson  Street, and now look at us!
You've got a humdinger here.
Five employees. Assets over $250,000. the is Bill Gregory, out head teller.
Pleased to meet you,Mr. Spencer.
And this is our vault. Of course it's a little old...lot of newfangled developments since we put

this one in 10 years ago.
Be a breeze. What's that you say?I'm going to ... sneeze! God bless you.
Never been broken into. However a banker friend over there in Ellenville was broken into a
few weeks ago. Robber got five thousands dollars, so I'm takin' no chances.
I've ordered another vault door with all the newest wrinkles. Be here in six months or so they

tell me.
That's sound thinking, Mr. Adams.
I'm so proud of you, Ralph. what you've done in less than a year is just wonderful.
I want you to know what I've done it just for you.
Before I met you, I wasn't ....wasn't the kind of person you'd want to marry.
I can't believe that.
It doesn't matter; you've given a whole new meaning to my life.
I can't wait to be married; I can't wait for us to start a family.
Store's done pretty well.
you're one of the most prosperous merchants in town.I was going to keep this a secret.
It's the first anniversary of the day you opened the store, silly. And do you know what daddy's
going to do?
It's a surprise.
Don't worry. Oh, you'll be so pleased.
music playing, sounds of celebration
Ladies and Gentlemen ! I've asked the town fathers to erect this (speaker stand) here in front
of Spencer Shoe Store,

so that I can make a little speech this afternoon to my friends and neighbors. First, I wanna

make an announcement, My daughter Annabel, whom you folks
all know, is going to be married two weeks from today, and the lucky fellow who has won
her hand,is none other than Ralph D. Spencer.

All right. This, this seems like a good time to announce the wedding date, because today is

the first anniversary of a highly successful now business here in Elmore - the greatest little city

in Indiana - Ralph D . Spencer Shoe Store. I want to say a few words about Ralph D.Spencer.
A fine citizen of this town you could not meet. Honest, right down to the ground; I trust him

with the last dollar in my bank. You've heard of 'Honest Abe'? Well, now meet Honest Ralph.
I couldn't find a better man to be my son-in-law.
----------------------------------------------------------------
can could  用法
I can't wait for us to start a family.
A finer citizen of this town you could not meet.
couldn't + 比較級
I  couldn't find a better man to be my son-in-law.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Marvin, I think we've got a hot lead.
Jimmy Valentine. You know that fellow on the train who identified Jimmy from his picture in

the paper?
He came by again this morning to tell me he finally remembered the name the fellow told
him when they were saying goodbye - Ralph D. Spencer.
when + 過去進行式 句型
What good does that do us. boss?
I've been collecting the names of shoe stores all over the State of Indiana.
Here's one in,in a little town called Elmore - Spencer Shoes. Owner : Ralph D. Spencer. I think
I'll just mosey out to Elmore.
I'll tell you why I sent Duley lookin' for you. I got a letter here from Jimmy Valentine.
I ain't heard from him in a dog's age. Where is he?
Dear old pal, you haven't heard from me in the past year, and I guss you're wondering what

happened to me.Well, Mike
I'm out of the business. Yep, I've gone straight.
Gone straight? The boy's sick!
there's more, even worse:
I've opened up a shoe store in a little town I won't tell you  the name of.
And as soon as possible I'm moving to California to get away from Ben Price.
I'm going to bring  the tools with me. You know they're worth a lot. I want you to give them to
Joe Casper.
It's enough to make a fella cry. A real gentleman-Gentleman Jimmy.
Joe taught me all I know. Will you get in touch with him, and tell him to meet me at your place

next Wednesday afternoon?
I'm a happy man. I've got a whole new life ahead of me.
for the love of all that's good and holy, can you believe that?
--------------------------------------
- 表達抱怨或是不耐煩的回應.可翻成[看在老天爺的份上]之類的.
例: 爸爸叫你去做家事,正在看連續劇的你終於被唸到受不了要去做了,這時你可能就會

說出: Oh, for the love of xxxxxxxxxxx, please stop nagging! I'll do it! (譯: 看在xxxx的份上,請

別再碎碎唸啦!我這就去做事去!)

2010-07-09 00:21:28 補充:
另外還有:

- 對事情之嚴重性,表達驚奇的回應. 例: For the love of xxxx, what happened here? (譯: 天

吶, 這裡發生了什麼事?)

其中[xxxx]的部份可以自己發揮,不一定是[all that's good and holy.] 常用的還有[pete],

[God/Jesus], [all things sacred], 端看您想祭出什麼人事物來替代[老天爺]這部份. 這句型

和 [for the sake of xxxx] 和 [for xxx's sake] 類似.
----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm glad you could come for breakfast, son. You don't mind if I call you son, do you, Ralph?
after all...
No, sir. I'm honored.
I wish your mother was here. She'd be so happy. Well, we'd better get (on our way ).
Ouch! Mommy! Mommy! Tell Billy to stop pulling my hair!
Billy, you behave yourself.
She started it. I'm going to put her in jail.
Billy, behave yourself. Now , first we'll go down to the bank and see the safe. They
finished installing it last evening, Ralph, and we're putting it in operation this morning.
I'm very proud of it.  and Ralph, I appreciate you ( advice on ) the kind of vault door to buy.
it's dandy! Where'd you ever learn so much about that kinda thing?
When I graduated from college, I want to work for a bank vault company, but it wasn't my

line.
Well, now you have to get your suitcase if we're gonna take you to the train after we finish
at the bank.
I'll pick it up at the hotel and meet you at the bank.
Good. All right everybody. Come on, kids, out of the house, and into the carriage.
It's still five minutes before we open the doors.
You are as responsible as anyone for this improvement to our vault.
Granddaddy, could you lock someone up in there?
Of course not. This is not for people, It's for money.
a person could walk right in- like this.
Now you stay out of there, May. and Billy,  keep your hands off that thing.
It looks very, very  strong.
It's the best you can buy.
Gregory, there's somebody standing at the door out front. See what he wants.
Tell him we don't open till nine o'clock.
The police?!
Keep your voice down!
I didn't mean to. I was just playing.
My grandson locked his sister in the safe.
The clock hasn't been wound, and the combination's not set.
there has to be a way to open it!
See if there's anyone, Good Lord, there's no one this side of Indianapolis.
There's only one man I know who could...
Hello, Commissioner. Where did you come from?
Just dropped by to pay me respects.
In my suitcase I have some tools that might do the trick.
Annabel, that rose you're wearing on your dress - give it to me, will you.
Thank you. Now give me room, everybody.
Drilling noises.
You've got to save her.
He's drilling through to the tumblers.
If anyone can, he can.
there, that should do it.
It's a miracle.
So, Ben, got around to me at last huh?
you're a hero!
No, Annabel, no. It can't be. All right, Ben, let's go!
Now, now just a minute, Mr. "Spencer."
I think you must be mistaken.
I never saw you before in my life. I've got the wrong man. Good day, all.
And that's the end of our story; an ending with a real "O. Henry twist "

沒有留言:

張貼留言